Samudrika Lakshanam – An Introduction

Author: தோழி / Labels:

I do not know the exact Tamil word for ‘Samudrika Lakshanam’. So I begin the post with this name itself. If somebody knows it let me know.

I have found very old books about samudrika lakshanam or the anga lakshanam in Sanskrit, Tamil and Telugu. Among them I am going to just share the information that the Siththars have shared in their songs in Tamil.

The modern science says that the characteristics of human depend on their genes. It has been proved from various researches that one’s look, nature, character are decided by the genes. Our ancestors have told the same as, “The beauty of mind is shown on the face”.

Most of them consider that the samudrika lakshanam is related to the astrology. As per the ancient Tamilians, that has been a custom followed in their daily life style. The art, samudrika lakshanam, has been in practice in every aspect from birth till death. The growth and the changes that take place in the body throughout the human life were said by the Siththars very clearly in their songs.

I found much information related to this anga lakshanam in the songs of Agathiyar, Theraiyar and Bogar. They have told for both men and women. They say that one’s physical appearance decides one’s nature
and their effects. I believe that they might have seen many people and verified with them. Then only they must have written this.

By making further discussions and search on the information that we gathered, we can know more about this. In my point of view I feel that this is mostly used at the times of marriage, birth of a baby and in identifying the symptoms of a disease.

We shall see about this art which has been vanished almost from the practice.

Original – www.siththarkal.com
Translated by சந்தியா